Under the supervision of the Head IT & Engineering, you would actively participate in the development of our information systems and be responsible of the maintenance of software deployed in the production environment.
|Internal Job Title||Software Engineer|
|Reports To||IT & Engineering Head|
1) Primary responsibilities and duties
- Develop effective relevant code using Java, Perl, Python or other languages as deemed appropriate by the team. Relevant code includes entirely new code, or changes to existing code to adapt a new requirement.
- Perform software analysis, code analysis, requirements analysis, software review, identification of code metrics, system risk analysis, software reliability analysis, testing and quality assurance.
- Conduct database management to ensure secure system and timely recovery of data with minimal loss in case of system failure.
- Define and implement security procedures to ensure the integrity and privacy of AFRINIC's systems.
- Document all code. Write documentation to describe program development, logic coding, and corrections. Develop manual pages.
- Maintain all systems in the production environment and develop tools to ensure interoperability between systems.
- Design graphic user interface (GUI) displays to accomplish goals of user requests. Support members service as well as staff on issues related to software development and databases including processing any ad hoc requests.
- Support systems during off-hours.
- Train staff when implementing new tools or modifying existing tools.
- Perform project management tasks to include overseeing all preparation data collection, performance and completion of critical projects.
- Strong analytical abilities and professional office experience needed.
2) Background/Skills Required
- BS in a computer science or related discipline. Masters degree will be a plus.
- Minimum of 3 years as a software developer with relational database management experience (MySQL preferred).
- Strong programming skills especially in OOP and experience in enterprise-level software development (J2EE, EJB3, Spring, etc)
- Good knowledge of Java, PERL or Python in UNIX and Open source environment.
- Good understanding of source control, versioning, branching, merging etc.
- Good understanding of Test Driven Development, and tools to assist with unit and automated testing.
- Good understanding of Coding standards, code metrics and tools to assist with development
- Exposure to Scrum or other agile software development frameworks
- Experience or knowledge of service-oriented architecture design concepts
- Familiarity with IPv4, IPv6 protocols, routing and networking issues.
- Solid understanding of web application security issues, e.g. OWASP Top Ten.
- IT security certification is a plus.
- Ability to perform tasks with minor supervision.
- Good interpersonal skill, strong verbal and written skills (English and French).
As well as competitive salaries, we offer a wide range of secondary benefits. These include:
- Health insurance,
- 24h Accident cover,
- International travel opportunities,
- Vacation leave, plus public holidays,
- A generous training budget for all staff,
- Language lessons,
- Regular performance and salary reviews,
- Subsidised connectivity costs to allow you to access the Internet from home,
- Travel costs reimbursed.
If you wish to apply for this position, please send a letter of motivation accompanied by your CV, both in English, either via email to jobs[at]afrinic.net or on following address:
Director Human Resources & Administration
11th Floor, Raffles Tower,
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 10 February 2013
Start Date: As soon as possible
Interviews will be held at the AFRINIC office in Ebène.
AFRINIC reserves the right to call only the best qualified candidates for an interview and not to make any appointment following this advertisement.