29 May 2015
Electronic and Paper Proxies during the AGMM
The Board has passed the following two resolutions, on handling of electronic proxies and paper proxies.
1. Motion on electronic proxies:
a) Article 12.12(x) allows electronically generated proxy instruments, in a format determined by the Board
b) The e-voting system records all such proxy instruments generated
c) There is the need to clarify whether proxy instruments are to be used for voting in elections only or for the passing of special resolutions only, or for both exercises
d) The e-voting platform allows multiple proxy instruments to be generated for distinct purposes
The Board has resolved that proxy instruments generated by the e-voting system shall be valid for:
a) Voting in specific AFRINIC elections
b) Voting of special or ordinary resolutions
c) Any other voting exercise, indicated by the Member, in the proxy
2. Motion on paper proxy instruments:
a) Article 12.12(vii) of the bylaws gives the Board the right to determine the format of the proxy instrument to be used during AFRINIC's AGMM
b) Previous guidelines regulating the use of paper proxy instruments required members to affix their company seal for the purpose of authentication
c) AFRINIC has received representations to the effect that some Members may not have company seals
d) There is now the need to clarify whether the paper proxy instruments are to be used for elections, or for voting of Special and Ordinary resolutions or for both exercises
The Board has resolved that paper proxy instruments shall be recognized as valid if:
- The proxy instrument is printed on the official and actual letterhead of the Member
- The paper document embodying the proxy instrument must be duly signed by:
i. Either a registered administrative contact of the Member. (For the avoidance of doubt, AFRINIC's database shall be used for counter verification), or:
ii. A director of the company, on whose letterhead the paper proxy document has been printed, and whose name is listed on the said letterhead.
- The affixing of Company seals to the paper proxy instruments is not mandatory.
- Members who are natural person and who do not have a letterhead are exempted from the obligation of printing the proxy instrument on a letterhead.
- Members appointing a proxy may, at their discretion, include on the proxy instrument a note as to whether same shall be used for voting in elections only, or for voting of resolutions only or for both exercises.
- Where no such note is included, the proxy instrument shall be valid
for all business conducted at the AGMM.
For more information, please browse to the following pages: