26 April 2016 -The AFRINIC NomCom 2016 is pleased to invite nominations for candidates to run for an open seat on the NRO NC for AFRINIC region. The term for the elected candidate will be from 1 January 2017 to 31 December 2019 (3 years).
You can find out more about the AFRINIC NRO-NC Election Process at http://afrinic.net/fr/community/elections/nro-aso-election
The NRO-NC serves as the ICANN ASO-AC according to the ICANN ASO MoU.
Current representatives from the AFRINIC region on the ICANN ASO AC are:
Fiona Asonga (Jan 2014 - Dec 2016) - Open Seat
Mark Elkins (Jan 2016 - Dec 2016) - Appointed by the AFRINIC Board.
Douglas Onyango (Jan 2015 - Dec 2017)
1. Responsibilities of the ICANN ASO-AC
- Undertaking a role in the global policy development process
- Providing recommendations to the Board of ICANN concerning the recognition of new RIRs, according to agreed requirements and policies as currently described in https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/new-rirs-criteria-2012-02-25-en
- Defining procedures for selection of individuals to serve on other ICANN bodies, in particular on the ICANN Board, and implementing any roles assigned to the Address Council in such procedures.
- Providing advice to the Board of ICANN on number resource allocation policy, in conjunction with the RIRs.
- Developing procedures for conducting business in support of their responsibilities, in particular for the appointment of an Address Council Chair and definition of the Chairs responsibilities.
For more information about the NRO-NC and the ASO-AC, please go to: http://aso.icann.org/
Open to individuals residing within the AFRINIC region of service. All nominations (including self-nominations) must be supported by a minimum of two AFRINIC community members; the two individuals must not work for the same organization.
A person may only nominate one candidate - and, in case of multiple nominations by the same person, only the last nomination will be considered valid. AFRINIC or other RIR staff can neither nominate candidates nor be nominated for an ASO AC seat.
3. Nominating Procedure:
4. Deadline for Nominations:
All nominations should be submitted by 1959 UTC+4 on 15th May 2016
Please note that the election will take place during the AFRINIC24 meeting scheduled to happen in Gaborone, Botswana from 04 to 10 June 2016, and an eligible voter shall be any non-AFRINIC staff who has registered to attend (and is present at) the AFRINIC24 meeting. A registration badge shall be requested as proof.