The 2019 Nominations Committee is pleased to announce that the NRO-NC/ASO-AC Nomination process is open. One NRO-NC/ASO AC position is up for election by the AFRINIC community to serve a three-year term from 1 January 2020 to 31 December 2022. The seat is currently held by Omo Oaiya.
Under the ICANN ASO Memorandum of Understanding, the ASO AC’s responsibilities include:
- Undertaking a role in the global policy development process.
- Defining procedures for the selection of individuals to serve on other ICANN bodies, in particular on the ICANN Board, and implementing any roles assigned to the AC in such procedures. The ASO AC selects ICANN Board seats 9 and 10.
- Providing advice to the ICANN Board on number resource allocation policy, in conjunction with the RIRs.
Criteria and qualifications for eligibility
- All nominations (including self-nominations) must be supported by a minimum of two AFRINIC community members; the two individuals must not work for the same organization.
- No person shall be appointed as a member of the NRO-NC/ASO-AC if he or she is a person who:
- is under 18 years of age;
- is an undischarged bankrupt;
- is not a natural person; or
- has been adjudged to have been of unsound mind
A nominee shall:
- Be familiar with the AFRINIC Policy Development Process;
- Have participated in at any AFRINIC activity time
- Be able to demonstrate that his/her activities are in the best interest of the African Internet Community.
- Be available and be committed to actively participate in one teleconference every month, and possibly 3 in-person meetings every year (one ICANN meeting and 2 AFRINIC public policy meetings).
- Provide feedback to the AFRINIC Community on the activities of the NRO-NC/ASO-AC.
Please complete the nomination form available at: https://registration.afrinic.net/elections/nro-nc-nomination-2019 to nominate yourself or a person of your choice.The Closure of the Candidate Nomination period is 10th of May 2019 at 20:00 UTC.
Note: It is expected that the proposed candidates should be able to attend (in-person or remotely) the upcoming AFRINIC 30 Meeting, taking place in Kampala, Uganda on 20th June 2019 (election day), where they will have an opportunity to introduce themselves to members and make a short presentation. Details on the election process can be found at https://afrinic.net/election-process/aso-nro